My father-in-law and I filled the raised beds this weekend. It took four loads of compost in his full-sized Dodge pick-up to do the job.
I’m expecting the compost to settle down around 2-3” this season. This stuff looks amazing! It was full of organic material and ready to feed my vegetables this spring. It did have a little bit of trash in it, but I didn’t mind. One load smelled terrible as we shoveled it into wheelbarrows. We soon discovered that a rabbit had met his end at the hand of the compost-making process. He was tossed away for some scavenging animals and birds to enjoy.
Before the sun went down, I was able to put up my electric fencing to keep Tenacious D from digging in the beds. One of my pre-spring garden goals is to place a 1/2” pvc pipe underground in-between each bed that will carry the electric fence wire so I do not have to worry about inadvertently walking into it and getting shocked. I also plan on re-working my rain barrel system by adding another barrel and extending the reach of the water to the bed furthest away by adding an underground pipe and ball valve at the end. This barrel addition should help as I did run out of water last year in August when the rains stopped for a month. The shed does a nice job of concealing the barrel and I also plan on planting some vining flowers such as morning glories nearby to give it some color. I’m hoping a “part 3” of this project will show a completed electric fence and the water improvements prior to spring planting. If our Kentucky winter keeps behaving like a New England fall, I should be able to complete this project before April 1.